Sunday, September 23, 2012

40. Sudoku

Tonight I am nurturing my gratitude for sudoku. I first heard about sudoku, and saw those little 3x3 boxes about seven years ago. A couple of my co-workers were really into it, and even though it looked pretty mathematical to me, they assured me it was more akin to a puzzle than to math. It wasn't until the following year that I started paying attention to the sudoku booklets at grocery store check-outs. I told my roommate at the time about sudoku, and we both decided to give it a try. We got hooked!

Not only is sudoku a fun puzzle to do, but it requires almost full concentration in order to be accurate, that is, to line up your numbers without repeating them. In that sense, I find it very meditative, because although I'll start off with my thoughts everywhere, as I continue figuring out the numbers, I find my thoughts refocussing to solve the puzzle. And the reward is a perfect 3x3 square, with the numbers 1 to 9 occurring only once per line and per square.

Here I am, seven years later, still loving sudoku. I don't get the chance to do it as often as I like to, but it's still one of the things that bring a smile to my face. And needless to say, it's one of those little "tools" that help me weather the storm I am going through. Thank you sudoku!

No comments:

Post a Comment